Tuesday, September 21, 2010

WRITING PLAYLISTS

I'm sure just about everyone does this - when I'm in the middle of writing a script, I get obsessive about finding music that sets the tone or gives me an idea for what the final score may be like, and I make playlists in itunes that I listen to over and over again (which is a nice distraction from actually having to write).

For "Au Revoir Taipei", it was a lot of those Edith Piaf-style Parisian love ballads from the 1930's, gypsy jazz like Django Reinhardt/Stephane Grappelli, and some American swing jazz from Eddie Lang/Joe Venutti.

For some reason, while writing "Nanjing East Road", the two songs that I've been listening to over and over again are Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called to Say I Love You" and Gershwin's "Concerto in F". Hmmm.



No comments: