Wednesday, August 24, 2011

TAKE THAT APES

Last weekend, two local Taiwanese movies You Are the Apple of My Eye, and Jump Ashin!, beat out all Hollywood movies at the box office, including Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which also just opened. Growing audiences for locally-produced movies have been a trend for the last few years, ever since 2008 and the breakout of Cape No. 7, but I think this is the first time since I've been back in Taiwan that I've seen two local films both doing so well (so well, in fact, that they're competing directly with each other for the much-coveted youth audiences).


1 comment:

leyown said...

Those two movies came out the day I left Taiwan (I was there for 2 weeks). Now I gotta wait to buy it on DVD at 99 Ranch haha

BTW, I've been watching a bunch of Woody Allen films lately because of your blog posts about him and his work! Thanks so much, they've been such a delight to go through!